I think it might have been Dooce who termed a phrase akin to "first world whining". I have just about nothing to be upset about. A friend has contracted the services of Hospice this week, the Gulf oil spill seems very real to me, and my friends' families in Nashville have it much worse than you have heard in the media.
So it is with a sense of humor that I present to you my upper? middle class white woman woes:
1. The yard guy mowed down my clematis plant!
2. I have plantar fasciatis from all my gym time.
3. My children have EOG testing and I have to make full, hearty, protein enriched breakfasts at the crack of dawn for almost a full week.
4. I am proctoring an EOG exam and better not say anything else about THAT on the Internet or the testing gestapo will get me.
Suffice to say, I am really, really nervous about not being able to drink or pee for 2 1/2 hours.
5. I don't know how to spend the remaining cultural arts funds without making the middle school administration mad.
6. We are down to two burners on our cooktop that work (see #3).
7. I have to go listen to a band of lawyers next weekend.
8. I'm hungrier than usual on a new reduced calorie diet.
9. My son left a cooler and a high-dollar water bottle at soccer practice, never to be found again. And my son & husband lost all of our freezer ice packs at a tournament.
10. Due to big events at work being reshuffled, and my rescheduling for these events, I now am missing them anyway and am getting extra vacation, which is awesome and yet I don't get paid!
BOY DO I FEEL LIKE A HEEL NOW!
Nothing like listing out your woes to make them seem so inconsequential. And yet, I would really love to take some water to the gym today, except we don't have any bottles and my feet hurt.