Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Y'all know I'm, at the very least, a bit fascinated with Britney Spears. I loved when my sister-in-law got tickets to see her concert, and then got my daughter a t-shirt. I shielded my children from the worst of it (though they heard about it at school), and I basically forbade them from watching "Zoey 101" when Jamie Lynn Spears got pregnant at age 16.

Yes. I decided they should not watch that show, based upon the actions of the star in her personal life.

So when Bristol Palin shows up pregnant, proud, touted, and supported on a national stage, what was I to do? I didn't let my children watch. I didn't even tell them about her or her condition. But I let myself get swept along in the tide of public opinion. I agreed that "that's life".

So it is with a heavy heart, in these dark times, that I tell you I actually applaud Lynne Spears. I admit, finally, that it took guts for that family to keep that baby. I admit that we have treated them badly, we who watch from afar. Sorry about that.

For more on the story, visit the venerable news source, "Pink is the New Blog". I swear, sometimes it takes a celebrity web site to make you realize your own double standard.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

OMG - That picture is scary. Double standards suck!