Tuesday, August 23, 2005

It's about time Avebury got some press. My husband took me there after he himself had been there and we just skipped Stonehenge altogether. This was a minor loss, even though I had been intrigued with the 'henge since reading "Tess of the d'Urbervilles". For an English project that featured scenes from the novel, I staged a photo of my Cher doll near some big rocks in my grandmother's yard. (Wow, that Cher doll site, is funny! Go back and look at it again!)

(For the same English project, my now-famous actor friend and I also reenacted the strawberry-eating scene. My friend, being an ingenue in the making, portrayed Tess. She also had long hair, whilst I looked a good deal like Mary Lou Retton at the time. )

At any rate, we had a very memorable time at Avebury. And now that a new phase of my life is opening up before me, at the time that my little sir is entering school and leaving my lap, I've been consoled by the thought of perhaps taking him and the little ma'am across the pond someday and letting them see such amazing sights as Avebury. It is hard when they grow up, but I never want to fear the future.

No comments: