Friday, March 18, 2005

I had the pleasure of chatting up a local celeb at the bookstore today - the owner and Queen of Small Independent Booksellers. I had read an interview with her where she said that every year she re-reads Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude" and Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" - both favorites of mine. I told her that I felt like she gave me license to re-read old favorites and basically served as my therapist this winter by recommending that I read P&P again. Truly, a dose of Darcy is good for what ails ya. A heaping helping of Havordforshire and Hampstead-on-Heath is hugely healing.

The Divine Entreprenurial Diva also shared her love of Marquez and told me when reading "Solitude" to forget all the characters names and focus on prose and plot. Not a problem, as I've already read the book and couldn't begin to tell you one character's name. I'm reading his autobiography now and couldn't tell you anyone's name save his.

She also told me to be wary of recommending this book to my book club. So warned.

My birthday is Saturday. Happy Birthday to me! Faithful readers, your attention and devotion has been a gift to me like none other. I thank you.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Happy Birthday blessed and true friend!

Did she not wish you to reccommend LIVING TO TELL THE TALE
or
100 days of Solutiude?
I would love to read the later - when I have time....

Hope today has been fun and fruitful!