Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I enjoyed our mountain trip. Funny how I thought myself a beach girl...but am quickly finding the restorative power of the mountains equally alluring. I love going to see the elk herd, I love hiking, I love sitting around on the deck of my parents' mountain house with a cocktail. (Or, I remember liking that, a lot. And I will like it again. IN FIVE DAYS).

I worked in the mountains years ago. I thought the area I was in was wet, cold, and lonely. On a sunny day it was too hot. And on my days off I was too busy smoking, drinking, listening to non-campy music and renewing my physical vows with my then-boyfriend (now-husband, don't worry) to notice my environs.

But now? I like the mountains. I like not having to slather on sunscreen to go out to the car. I like the quiet. I like the wildlife and the possibility of more (I am a hopeless optimist when it comes to a potential bear sighting).
I'll look forward to a beach trip this year, but I may very well think of the mountains when I'm there.

No comments: