Tuesday, February 17, 2009

As I'm sure I've written before (but am far too lazy and disorganized to find out for sure), my friend M.K. Allen has sponsored an Oscar contest for 14 years or more. I won once. Lots enter, with a $1 entry fee, so the award money is fun. The tiebreaker question is always random. I usually get at least 3 right, and in recent years (when, strangely, I rarely see the movies) I've been getting five of the six categories correct with regularity.

This year I'm going with:

Slumdog Millionaire
Stephen Daldry, Director of The Reader
Penelope Cruz
Heath Ledger (natch)
Frank Langella
Kate Winslet

But Nate Silver, of FiveThirtyEight, has different ideas than I do - see his predictions at NY Magazine. Obvs he has gotten other marquee contests right in the past.

I'll stick with the dark horses (Langella, Daldry) and the red-hot Spaniard (Cruz).

If I win, I'll take you to lunch.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Wow! U did well.